Calavera has evolved from a passionate love affair with art, bright colours and tattoos. Each piece begins once I have stitched up the eyes. I like to see it as a birthing process, there is no clear idea of what I would like each one to look like, once the eyes are in place they form a personality and so I choose the remaining colours, mouth and nose elements, etc. I use a combination of hand embroidery and beading. Every item is unique and produced entirely by hand. I am not a fan of mass production so time is not of the essence when producing each skull.
My inspiration comes from the collaboration of many elements: cultural significance, life and death, music, colour, tribal art. I would love to change society’s take on skulls being associated with dark and negative elements and instead for them to see them in a more positive light. I embrace embroidery as an art form as there is something powerful about creating something so intimate. The use of thread as a medium and embroidering as the application grounds me and slows me down to become more aware and present.
It is the intimate, slow way of drawing with thread that connects me with the natural world.
Kimberley, Northern Cape
1994-1995 Austen Ellis Graphic Design School
• Joint exhibition “Dia de los Muertos’ at Cabritos, Greenpoint.
• Group exhibition ‘MUSIC + LYRICS’ at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
• Group exhibition at Revolution: “Lost/Found”
• Group exhibition at Salon 91: “One in a million”
• Group exhibition at Salon 91: “Id rather be swimming”
• Textile and Jewellery Exhibition 2012 at the Kalk Bay Modern Contemporary Art Gallery
• Levi, Rolling Stone and Wildfire Tattoo Studio Art Exhibition - Aces & Spades Cape Town
• Design Indaba 2012
• 2011 - December - Group exhibitions at Salon 91: “Let yourself love a wild thing”
• “Angels 6” Grande Provence - Franchhoek
• Textile and Jewellery Exhibition 2011 at the Kalk Bay Contemporary Art Gallery
• Cape Craft & Design Institute 2011 Handmade Collection - Roving Exhibition for the duration of the year
• Exhibitionism - Hoodwinx Art Gallery, Woodstock, Cape Town
• Exhibitionism - Grayscale Gallery, Braamfontein, Johannesburg - 1o November 2011
• Design Indaba 2011 - Emerging Creative
• Textile and Jewellery Exhibition - Kalk Bay Contemporary Art Gallery
• Cape Craft & Design Institute 2010 Handmade Collection - Roving Exhibition for the duration of the year
2011 Design Indaba Emerging Creative
CCDI Product Innovation 2011
• Cranial Visions - MD Publishers